At Fussell Wright we understand that you may have questions about our services and that is why we have listed some of our most common questions and answers for you.

Below you will find answers to questions ranging across most of our services from Will and Probate creation to Buying and Selling Commercial Property.

If you still have a burning question you would like answered then please Contact Us.

What is a HIP?

A Home Information Pack, or HIP, is a collection of documents providing a buyer with information about a property for sale.

If in England or Wales, the seller of the property must have a HIP commissioned before they, or an estate agent, can begin the selling process.

A buyer has the right to ask to see a HIP on any property free of charge, however they will be asked to cover any copying and postage charges.

As of 6th April, a HIP must include the following documentation:

  • Index
  • Property information questionnaire (PIQ)
  • Energy performance certificate (or predicted energy assessment)
  • Sustainability certificate (new homes only)
  • Sale statement
  • Land Registry documents (eg evidence of title)
  • Local property searches
  • A copy of the lease (for leasehold properties only

Additionally, a HIP may include the following optional documents:

  • A legal summary
  • A home condition report (HCR) containing information about the physical condition of the property – this gives you a better idea of the value of the property
  • Information on non-standard searches, such as mining searches in a relevant area

To find out more on HIPs, please visit the Directgov website.

Lasting Power of Attorney: Who should you appoint?

When choosing a person to be appointed for your LPA, you should consider:

  • How well you know the person
  • If you can trust the person to make decisions on your behalf
  • How well they manage their own finances
  • How happy the person will be to take on the role as it places a lot of responsibility on the person in question
  • You can choose anyone to be an ‘attorney’ for you, whether that is a close friend, a family member or a professional. Moreover you can choose to have more that one person appointed to prevent abuse of the role.

What should I include in my Will?

When creating your will you should clearly state the person(s) and / or organization(s) to whom you wish to leave money or certain items.

Also you should clearly state how much money you would like each person or organisation to receive. If you are leaving items then list these in as much detail as possible.

You can pass on any item you choose, however big or small. The obvious being:

  • Any property owned
  • Vehicles
  • Jewellery and antiques
  • Sentimental items

Furthermore, when creating a Will be sure to include details about any bank accounts, shares and insurance policies that you have and what you would like done with them once you pass away.

Whom you choose to include in your Will is ultimately down to you and should not be dictated by anyone. As a starting point to whom to choose, think about the following:

  • Family members
  • Friends
  • Charities
  • Pets

How do I choose a nursing home?

Choosing a nursing home for your loved one can be emotionally difficult. Always think about what would be best for your loved one and choose a nursing home based on their needs.

Take the time to research local nursing homes and make a point of physically visiting every one of them. Base your opinion on all aspects of the service given; if a receptionist is rude on the phone then think carefully about the nursing home; you may be having regular contact with this person and so they should be polite at all times.

Prepare a list of potential questions regarding the service that will be provided for your loved one. This way you can ask them in an organised fashion, ensuring that you ask consistent questions to every home you visit.

Go with your first impressions – is the home bright and cheerful? Do the residents look happy and entertained? Could you see your loved one here? Are the staff calm and collected or stressed?

Bristol: 0117 927 9117

Brislington: 0117 971 3535

DX 7858 Bristol

(Incorporating Freed and Co and John H Atchley)

Michael C Dickman: Partner
Angela Lawrence F.Inst.L.Ex (Legal Executive)

Brislington Office:
Malcolm D R Buck LL.b (Hons): Partner

This firm is authorised and regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority no. 48738